When getting a job in a nightclub or other establishment, many people experience some difficulties associated with mastering a new profession. The position of a bartender is no exception, which requires from the employee not only a responsible approach, but also the presence of a number of theoretical knowledge. After all, making cocktails is not such a simple process as it might seem at first glance. And the ability to communicate politely with clients also plays an important role. So what should a first-time bartender know? The answer to this question is reflected in this article.
Qualities that an employee should have
First of all, it is worth noting that a bartender is a person who exploits his workplace in accordance with the atmosphere and rules of the institution. He not only welcomes customers, accepts and fulfills their orders, but also gives advice on the choice of certain drinks. In addition, the bartender controls cash transactions, takes part in the preparation of the menu and the list of necessary products. In fact, the list of duties of such an employee is very, very extensive. It also includes the arrangement of drinks on the shelves, control over the cleanliness of equipment, strict dosage of the proportions of ingredients, etc. In this regard, we can conclude that only responsible and executive people are suitable for the position of a bartender.
It is quite obvious that the employee contacting customers must have a neat appearance that meets the concept of the institution. The work of the bartender should be carried out in such a way that the effort and time spent on maintaining order at the counter are minimized. In addition, the obligatory qualities of such an employee include:
- Ability to quickly, but without fuss, perform duties and competently organize their work.
- Observation required to observe the entire bar and the hall as a whole. This will allow the employee to act ahead and anticipate events.
- Sociability and helpfulness. The bartender must be able to listen and maintain a conversation, as well as competently offer drinks, without waiting for a corresponding request from the client.
- Good memory. A responsible employee is obliged to know the regular customers of the establishment by sight, to keep their tastes and preferences in mind.
- Striving for professional growth.
- Honesty and commitment. Despite the fact that the bartender is not allowed to consume alcohol in the workplace, he must perfectly know the taste of the offered drinks and observe the proportions for their preparation.
- Endurance. This quality is useful for an employee due to the need to stand on their feet for a long time and work on night shifts. Particular attention should be paid to bar accessories, which are presented in the widest abundance today. Here are the most common ones:
- Sommelier knife with bottle opener and corkscrew.
- Bar spoon for mixing.
- Ice bucket.
- Shaker. There are two versions of this accessory. The first is a metal container consisting of a lid, filter and vase. Its main disadvantage is its high heat transfer, which leads to freezing of hands and rapid ice melting. The second option is called the "Boston Shaker" and is very popular in European countries. This fixture consists of metal and glass elements. The ice in it does not melt for a long time, but the main drawback of such a shaker is its fragility.
- Bar strainer.
- Tongs and ice scoop.
- Dispensers for various quantities of centimeters.
- Ice crushing mill.
- Stopper (a kind of stopper for closing the started bottle).
Some tips for making cocktails are also worth mentioning. Drinks with easy-to-mix ingredients can be poured directly into the glass. This cooking method is called “build”. If the drink contains various fruits or a large amount of ice, then it is recommended to mix it in a blender. The same can be said for airy milkshakes. For chopping in a blender, fruits with a homogeneous pulp are taken: melon, bananas, kiwi, mango, strawberry, etc. It is not recommended to use the pulp of citrus fruits - only their juice is used. For cooling and whipping difficult-to-mix components (liqueurs, syrups, cream), it is necessary to use a shaker. You can also use a so-called mixing glass for making cocktails. It is useful for cooling and making alcoholic drinks with a low sugar content. Other subtleties of mixing cocktails are reflected in the video.
Thus, the work of a bartender is hard work, requiring the employee to have certain skills and abilities. In this case, the theoretical part also plays a special role, without knowledge of which it will hardly be possible to please the client. At the same time, this profession has a number of indisputable advantages, including constant self-development (mastering new skills, attending courses, etc.), communication with people, flexible hours, and additional income from tips. In addition, competent bartenders have good opportunities to further hone their skills and participate in various thematic competitions..