Sometimes even experienced motorists make gross mistakes when starting to drive. Although in reality there is nothing complicated in such a maneuver, you just need to fulfill a number of simple, but mandatory requirements. First of all, they are aimed at providing a comfortable driving environment for the driver himself. So how to start driving a car without disturbing others and without endangering your life?
Situations can be different, but below will be a sequence of actions from the beginning. So, approaching the car from the side of the driver's door, you need to open it with your left hand, otherwise you will have to make a lot of unnecessary movements just to get into the salon. After it is open, the right foot is transferred to the area of the gas pedal, after which you can sit down on the seat.
Now you need to adjust it for yourself in order to take the correct position. If this is not done, then fatigue quickly arises, which affects traffic safety. The seating position should meet the following requirements:
- the back is almost vertical and fits snugly against the back of the seat, this helps to reduce the impact on the spine of shock and vibration;
- Legs extended forward. They should reach the pedals without additional effort and at the same time do not touch the steering wheel when they are placed on the floor;
- both hands are comfortably placed on the steering wheel so that the right one, without straining or changing the position of the body, could reach the gear lever and turn on any speed;
- The rearview and sideview mirrors must be adjusted so that the area behind and to the side of the vehicle is visible without turning the head. Only the pupils of the eyes should move.
The correct driving position is shown in the figure below.
The left foot controls the grip and the right foot controls the gas and brake. The clutch is pressed only when starting the movement and when changing gears. The rest of the time, the left leg should be on a special platform.
If something is wrong or you feel some discomfort when landing, you need to adjust the position of the seat, steering column and mirrors. Sitting correctly, you can start starting the engine and starting to move.
How it is done
The procedure itself is determined by the type of gearbox installed on your machine. Depending on this, the methods of starting the movement of the car and the actions of the driver will be slightly different.
Starting the car with manual transmission
- First, make sure that neutral is engaged, for which it is enough to swing the gear lever from left to right. If the car is in neutral, it will move freely from side to side. If the gear is engaged, then by pressing the brake pedal and then the clutch pedal, the gearbox must be shifted to neutral.
- Make sure the parking (hand) brake is applied (control handle up). If not, then it must be set in the desired position, after which the brake pedal is released.
- The engine can now be started. The clutch is squeezed out, the key is turned to the "ignition" position, the indication on the instrument panel comes on, and the hum of the fuel pump is heard. When it disappears, the key turns further, the starter turns on and starts to turn the engine crankshaft. As a rule, with a serviceable car, this does not take more than 1-2 seconds.
When the engine is running, the key returns to the ignition position. After that, you need to give the engine time to run and warm up, while the clutch pedal must be released. You can get under way, especially in winter, after the coolant temperature rises at least above 50 ° C (according to the instrument cluster). If you do not have a DRL, then you should turn on the low beam, and also remember to fasten your seat belt.
- The turn signal comes on, the brake and clutch pedals are depressed. Assess your surroundings with rearview mirrors and side-view mirrors. After making sure that there are no passing and oncoming vehicles, remove the handbrake, release the brake pedal and start to slightly increase the gas. When the tachometer reaches 1500 rpm, smoothly release the clutch. When the car starts to move, slightly hold the pedal in this position, and then completely remove your foot from it. It should be moved to the landing on the left.
If everything is done correctly, the car will move. The procedure for starting a car with a manual transmission, as well as additional information, can be obtained by watching the video:
Starting a car with an automatic transmission
In this case, the whole procedure is simplified. After the engine is running and you have made sure that there is no interference, and the turn signal is on, you need to press the brake. Then move the shift knob to position D. Release the brake and the machine will start moving. All information about this maneuver is shown in the video:
The procedure for starting a movement implies the fulfillment of a number of requirements. Of course, you can skip them, but in the end it will affect driver fatigue and overall safety. So it’s best that the rules for starting driving a car become routine for you and are followed automatically..