Low temperatures are becoming a serious challenge for a car. In severe frosts, everything appears that previously could be closed. But the "iron horse" is able to move at any temperature, the most important thing is that the motor works. True, there are certain difficulties here, especially for vehicles with an automatic transmission. So how do you start the car? An automatic transmission in frost (automatic transmission) will only serve as a source of additional worries.
Cold and car
To take effective measures to start the engine in cold temperatures, you need to know how the cold affects your "iron horse". Frost affects various components and mechanisms of the machine, as a result of which:
- The capacity of the battery decreases, and it gives a lower discharge current. Accordingly, it is not enough for the starter to turn the engine crankshaft.
- Oil viscosity increases. And if in the summer you can use grease with indices 10 W and 15 W, then in winter it is necessary to use 0 W or 5 W. This will reduce the resistance to rotation of the crankshaft and facilitate starting.
- Reduces the volatility of gasoline, as a result of which the formation of fuel assemblies deteriorates.
These reasons can be considered basic, although there are many others. But we will touch them upon further consideration of the problem of how to start the car. An automatic machine in cold weather (automatic transmission) is not the best assistant in this matter. The fact is that the automatic transmission has a feature that makes it difficult to start it up in winter. If in ordinary cars the clutch at the time of starting the engine allows the transmission to be disconnected from it, then in cars with automatic transmission the starter has to additionally scroll the automatic transmission filled with viscous oil.
Prevention, which makes it easier to start the engine in cold weather
If in time, before the onset of cold weather, take a number of measures, then their implementation will help start the car in frost. First of all, you need to pay attention to the battery. If its service life has exceeded 3 years, then such a battery is best replaced. In addition, the battery must be charged using an external device before the start of the winter season. In fact, the car charges the battery up to 75% of its rated power.
And in winter, at temperatures below minus 20 ° C, this is clearly not enough. It is also worth checking the density of the electrolyte. For the winter period, it can be made higher. But this procedure (checking the density and changing it) is best done in a specialized center.
Pay particular attention to the oil. It is advisable to use winter grades in winter, starting with the designation 0 W and 5 W. Thanks to special additives, they maintain normal viscosity at low temperatures, which ensures lower loads on the starter and battery.
It is worth paying attention to the candles. If the car has driven more than 15,000 km with them, then it is better to replace them. Well, you need to check the condition of the battery terminals. If they have oxidized, then they must be cleaned, and all fasteners must be tightened. These violations lead to additional resistance in the discharge circuit, which reduces the starting current.
How to start the engine in the cold in a car with automatic transmission
Before considering how to start the engine in cold weather, it should be recalled that a cold start is equivalent to at least 150 km. But if it is necessary, then it is necessary. We will start the car. We believe that initially it was not equipped with any additional devices to facilitate launch.
- Before starting it, it is worth turning on the main beam for 10-15 seconds. This will slightly warm up the electrolyte and increase the battery capacity. To improve starting, you can additionally recommend bringing the battery into a warm room at night. Then in the morning you will have a full charge in your battery. Or, before starting the engine, keep the battery at positive temperature until it thaws.
- Turn the key to the ignition position. The starter should start cranking the engine crankshaft. If the engine does not start within 10 seconds, stop the starting procedure, otherwise the battery will be discharged. You can try to start the engine again no earlier than a minute later. If, after three attempts, the engine does not start, but you need to drive, additional measures must be taken. Among them it is worth noting:
- adding ether to the air filter, which will improve the volatility of gasoline and facilitate starting;
- use of a donor car. In this case, observing the polarity, the battery of the frozen car is connected to the battery of another already working car, and then you can try to start your "iron horse". It is necessary to make sure that at the moment of starting the engine of a warm car is turned off.
- the use of an external starting-charger instead of the battery.
If none of the measures taken has given a result, then you can resort to heating the engine using a heat gun or blowtorch. The incoming hot air will heat the oil and the engine, and then starting the engine will not be a problem.
These are, in principle, the main ways you can start a car with automatic transmission in frost. They are no different from those used when starting a car with a manual transmission. The only thing that can not be done is to start "from a pusher" or with the help of a towing vehicle. This is fraught with a breakdown of the automatic transmission. For more information on starting the engine in cold weather, watch the video:
Winter is a demanding examiner for both the driver and the car. And first of all it concerns the launch of the vehicle. It should be noted that cars with automatic transmission, with all their advantages in such a situation, give owners additional trouble. But nevertheless, they also successfully start in the most severe frosts..