A tent is an extremely convenient invention that helps to shelter from the wind and rain, to wait out the bad weather, sitting right in nature. But if earlier the choice of products was limited, today there are hundreds of options on sale for tourists, fishermen, hunters, as well as outdoor enthusiasts. How to choose a tent and be satisfied with your purchase?
It should be noted that now everything depends on the intended use of the thing, as well as on the buyer's requests. There are no universal solutions, and a high price does not always mean a bargain. It is necessary to pay attention to the compactness of the tent, its strength and durability. To make the right choice, it is worth understanding the features of this device, as well as its varieties.
The main types of tents by field of use
1. Assault (extreme, lightweight)
This species is used exclusively for professional purposes: for a long ascent to the mountain, when conducting geological exploration, a winter hike. Such a tent perfectly tolerates temperature changes and keeps heat reliably. Modern models are quite compact and lightweight (within 2-4 kilograms), but the level of their convenience leaves much to be desired. You will have to move around in this type of tent on your knees or crawling, since you will not be able to get up to full height in it. to become in such a place, they are quite compact and have a low weight (within 2-4 kilograms), but the level of convenience is left
Pros. High strength, water resistance, the presence of a dense bottom, glued and thermally insulated seams, low weight, inner frame, the presence of several inner nets.
Cons. High cost, low comfort, relatively difficult installation.
Unlike an assault tent, such a tent is heavier and much more comfortable. The level of water resistance is lower, and the seams can be stitched. This is a great option for hiking along the developed routes. At the same time, the price of such products is significantly lower compared to assault tents.
Pluses. High strength, good level of water resistance, simple structure, compactness.
Cons. Increased weight, intended use (most models are not designed for winter), high cost.
These tents are designed for comfortable rest, not for travel. To a greater extent, they are suitable for spending the night by the river, in nature, as well as near a country house under construction. Solutions are presented in a wide price range: from affordable to very expensive (even more expensive than assault). Some models have a variable volume, that is, during the day they can be used as a dining room, storage of food and clothes, and at night for sleeping. Manufacturers also use various fabrics, but most of the models are not waterproof.
Pluses. Spaciousness, comfort, convenience, aesthetic appearance.
Cons. Long heating and rapid cooling (due to the significant volume), heavy weight, difficulty in installation and transportation.
Most of the popular solutions on the market are named just like that. These are a variety of tents that can have any volume and capacity. As a rule, they are created on the basis of fragile and short-lived materials, equipped with an outer frame. However, it is these products that are suitable for the main target group: such a tent will, in any case, last for several seasons, providing an acceptable level of convenience.
Pluses. Affordable price, wide choice.
Cons. Most of the models are permeable, a significant part are single-layer (that is, they do not have air chambers), they quickly heat up and cool down, do not have ventilation windows and vestibules.
A separate group of products is designed for winter fishing on ice. Their main purpose is to protect people from wind, snow and bad weather. Of course, such tents are of little use for sleeping, as well as for use on ordinary hikes. But they are suitable for mounting on ice and have a special fixation system. You can stand upright, sit in the tent, and there is enough space for several people.
Pluses. Spaciousness, high strength, quick deployment, multiple entrances and observation windows, pockets for storing tackle, inner frame, high level of security.
Cons. Large weight (about 7-10 kilograms), bulkiness (folded length - 120 cm and more), no vestibule, intended use.
Other useful tips for choosing tents:
- When choosing a tent, pay close attention to the frame. Aluminum is the strongest and lightest material, but it makes the model expensive. Stainless steel, on the other hand, is the cheapest alternative, but the weight of such a tent will be heavy. Fiberglass (fiberglass) is characterized by average values of price, lightness and quality.
- Tents with a spherical shape and "low landing" are more resistant to gusts of wind and therefore do not require careful fastening. They are suitable for hiking in the mountains, as well as for extreme recreation.
- Only a two-layer tent provides adequate heat and moisture insulation. It contains a chamber that makes the most of the temperature of human bodies. If a single layer tent is waterproof, it will be stuffy to sleep in.
- Since any frame can act as a so-called cold bridge, all professional tents hide it under the fabric. Frameless models are practically not produced at the moment, since they are difficult to install and unstable.
- Pay attention to the material of the awning fabric, which is most often polyester or polyamide. The first option is heavier and more durable, the second option is lighter but more expensive.
- Water resistance is measured in “millimeters of water”. For tourists who do not want to soak their belongings in the rain, water resistance within 3000 mm is quite suitable. However, for extreme work and mountain crossings, a value of 5000 mm or more will be required. The bottom of the tent should also be waterproof so as not to wet the property of tourists.
- Stretch marks affect the stability of the tent during strong winds. In their absence, the comfort of being in nature will be low.
TheDifference.ru knows how to choose a tent:
- Intended use. It is necessary to decide on the tasks for which you need a tent. If we are talking about extreme tourism, hiking to the mountains or the sea, then you should pay attention to the assault options. If the trip will take place mainly by car, then a camping tent would be an excellent solution. Expeditionary is more suitable for professional work on rough terrain, while trekking is more suitable for almost any need. The fishing tent has a narrow scope of use, but only it is ideal for ice fishing.
- Conditions and intensity of operation. Most potential buyers will be happy with a conventional single layer tent that is not waterproof. But if we are talking about a professional tourist who wants to get comfortable living conditions in any weather, then he needs more powerful solutions. A two-layer expedition or assault tent with good thermal insulation, ventilation windows, and a vestibule for storing things is suitable.
- Features of tourism. Professional tents are equipped with several rooms, which allows them to be used for "separate living", storage of food and things. However, this complicates the design of the thing and makes it more cumbersome, difficult to assemble.
- Number of people. Each tent is designed for a specific group of people, which is indicated in the passport attached to it. Thus, the value must match the parameter set by the manufacturer (single, double, etc.).
- Mounting and fixing method. Most of the solutions on the market are designed for quiet use in the absence of strong winds. However, a number of models (including all fishing tents) have a quick deployment system and special fixation.
- Additional options. Depending on your preferences, it makes sense to pay attention to the presence of a vestibule, ventilation windows. Only camping and some trekking tents have sufficient height for sitting, all others are suitable only for sleeping. At the same time, the size of the tent should correspond to the user's weight and be 15-20 cm higher.