In the training of any athlete involved in percussion martial arts, the punching bag is one of the first places. Which is not surprising - the lion's share of working off all the punches falls on this silent fighter of the boxing gym. Therefore, the question of how to choose a punching bag for training is of great importance. Moreover, it is not at all as easy as it might seem to an inexperienced athlete.
The variety of "leather partners" for whipping is surprising and pleasing. They differ in appearance, type, construction and weight. All these nuances directly affect the training process and the implementation of the tasks that the athlete faces. Before choosing a pear, you need to understand exactly what you want to achieve with it.
The device of the punching bag
Punching punching bags have a fairly clear division according to their design features.
- The most common is the stuffed boxing bag. It is optimal for amateur boxing. Such a pear is stuffed inside with rubber crumb, which extinguishes pain during impacts.
- Pneumatic, or inflatable, bag. The main advantage lies in the rapid restoration of its original appearance after impact. Inside there is a rubber chamber with air.
- The most perfect and advanced type of punching bag today is considered to be a hydro bag - a bag filled with water. It is made of dense, high-quality rubber, which has a positive effect on the durability of the projectile.
Feel the pear before buying. It should be elastic everywhere and equally responsive to pressing. Another reaction will be that the filler is caked and your future sparing partner will soon be out of order.
For all tastes
There are many varieties of punching bags. The main ones are eight basic types. Everything else in one way or another belongs to one of these types.
- Universal, or classic, pear. Bag made in the form of a cylinder (25-45 kg). At home, on such a pear it is quite possible to work out the main set of punches from the boxing arsenal.
- Uppercut option. Cylinder weighing 25-50 kg (5-30 kg for boxing for children and youth), installed in a horizontal position. Great for practicing lower blows (uppercuts).
- Pneumatic type. Purpose - setting a sharp, swift blow and combined ligaments. The main feature of such a punching bag is its elastic resistance, which creates some element of real combat when hitting.
- Hydrocheck. Above, we have already mentioned this durable and high quality sports equipment. Usually a hydrobag has the shape of a human body, and this can also be considered its advantage, since this type helps to improve the accuracy of the blow. Such a bag will be good for both a beginner boxer and a master.
- Wall pear, or pillow. Structurally, it is a wooden frame that is firmly attached to the wall. Between the bars, the bag itself is mounted, which has a slightly convex shape. The main purpose of such a pillow is to work out the strength component of such traditional attacks as jabs and hooks.
- Serial bag. A cylindrical pear designed to develop serial and lethal blows. Normal weight 60-110 kg, solid mount designed to provide a safe training for the fighter. First of all, this punching bag is used for professional boxing or martial arts.
- Dummy. Another type of boxing equipment. Simulates a human figure. The weight of such a projectile varies widely. If the filler is water, then it can reach 135 kg, and if sand is used, then even higher. The "growth" of such a sparring partner is regulated and has several levels. It is quite possible to put the dummy at home - the projectile is rigidly attached and will not be able to break all the things in your room.
- Chaser. And the last type of punching bag is a small, but very nimble fighter weighing up to 18 kg, with great freedom of movement. After the blow, he begins to move rapidly in a circle, striving to drive into the jaw of a gaping boxer. Of course, it is impossible to work with a jumper at home - you need a gym for this.
Before buying a pear, test it with an accented blow. If you fail to "break through" (push through), then it is better to consider another softer option.
An important point to pay attention to is the weight of the pear. Pears of the same type can be of completely different weights. Again, we must proceed from the tasks set at this stage. If we use sports terminology, then by weight these sports equipment are divided into three categories.
- Severe category. Here we are dealing with a large cylinder reaching 110 and more kilograms (starting from 60 kg). The huge weight immediately makes it clear that in this class everything is adult and the punching bag is designed to practice punches in the style of Mike Tyson, that is, one punch - one knockout.
- Middle category. In this category, weights range from 30 to 60 kg. The main set of punches is practiced precisely in this weight range. You can use this shell both in the halls and at home. Naturally, such versatility made this weight category the most in demand.
- Light category. The usual bag weight here is 5-30 kg. The main users are children, adolescents and amateur beginners.
Remember: the weight of your daily workout bag should be about the same as your weight. This balance allows you to get the most out of your workout.
… and very briefly
It is impossible to cover all aspects of the correct choice of this sports equipment in a small article. Here are the main criteria that you should be guided by when choosing a punching bag. There are a number of not important, but also important details that must be clarified with the seller before buying:
- height above the floor,
- bag surface material,
- design features.
As you can see, the choice of the punching bag is not an easy question. This matter must be approached extremely seriously. Your future success will largely depend on the right “leather and rubber assistant” for training in such courageous sports as boxing or percussion combat. Good luck and the right choice!.