A car battery (battery, starter battery) is a complex device necessary to start the engine of a car, as well as to provide energy to the electrical devices of the vehicle. A competent choice of this part will help not only to start the engine from half a turn at any temperature, but also to use an air conditioner, a powerful audio system and other equipment without the risk of draining the battery. The battery is replaced once every 3-7 years: it all depends on the power source, the requirements of the machine, and the features of use.
As the electric vehicle industry develops, such devices will be used not only to provide power to auxiliary systems, but also to operate the engine (trolleybus, tram). In cars and trucks, lead-acid batteries are used, the prototypes of which were invented in the middle of the 19th century. The device consists of an electrolyte and lead plates, the interaction of which becomes a catalyst for about 60 physical and chemical processes. If you want to know how to choose a battery for a car, we will help you figure it out.
- Rated voltage. There are three main alternatives: 6 Volt (used on motor vehicles), 12 V (suitable for motorcycles, cars, small trucks), 24 V (used for trams, trolley buses, trucks and other heavy trucks). The 24 V battery can also be used on off-road vehicles, as well as on special vehicles (including minibuses) with a large number of electronic systems.
- Starting current. The characteristic reflects the battery's ability to deliver current for 30 seconds at a temperature of –18 ° C without loss of charge. Thus, the car can be started at subzero temperatures.
- Capacity. This parameter, referred to as ampere-hours, shows the type of battery current when it is uniformly discharged. This characteristic reflects how long the battery will be able to provide the electronic systems of the machine. High-capacity batteries make starting your car easy and confident. The capacity must strictly comply with the manufacturer's recommendations and be indicated in the passport of the machine.
- Reserve capacity. The characteristic is most often indicated in minutes and allows you to find out how long the battery is able to provide the car with energy when the generator is not running.
- Polarity and diameter of the contact terminals. The parameter can be “direct” (Russian) and “reverse” (European). You can determine the characteristic by the front side of the battery. If the terminal with the sign "" is located on the right, then the battery has a polarity of 0 (reverse), if on the left, then the polarity is 1 (direct). The European terminal standard is 1.95 cm (positive) and 1.79 cm (negative), Asian - 1.27 cm (positive) and 1.11 cm (negative).
- Make sure the battery you are purchasing is equipped with normal gas vents. As a result of the physicochemical reactions of the electrolyte, gases such as hydrogen and oxygen can accumulate. If the volume is excessive, the walls or battery cover cannot withstand the pressure and an explosion occurs. Also, gases can detonate from a spark if the electrical wiring of the machine is faulty.
- Purchase new batteries. The point is not that used devices have less potential. Already from the moment the electrolyte is poured, chemical reactions begin to occur at the factory, which affect the service life of the device. Therefore, the newer the battery, the easier and more convenient it will be to use.
- Before purchasing the device, it is necessary to check its functionality. For this purpose, a special device (load fork) is used, which a serious seller must have. The battery should show a 9 volt reading within 5 minutes.
- Bosch. Models of this brand are considered the most reliable and durable, and the model range allows you to choose a battery for almost any car. The disadvantage of the device is its high cost, but the best technology simply cannot be cheap.
- Varta. The German brand not only offers a wide range of starter batteries, but also cares about the environment. In terms of price, these models are comparable to Bosch, but in some respects they are slightly inferior.
- Medalist. Batteries from this company are quoted along with "Bosch" and "Warta", while the models are characterized by the lowest price of the line. But, unlike the leaders of the rating, the manufacturer uses significantly fewer innovative systems that facilitate engine starting in difficult operating conditions.
- Atlas. This is the best option for Asian vehicles with the correct terminal types. In the harsh Russian climate, these devices have demonstrated not only their worth, but also a long service life.
- The Beast. The batteries of this manufacturer are considered the best among Russian suppliers, their use in our climatic conditions is highly justified. An unconditional plus is the low price, as well as the high strength of the case.
- Bison. The Belarusian analogue, despite its lower prevalence on the market, is quoted by many experts on a par with European brands. The most important advantage of these batteries is a long service life at a very modest price.
- Determine the nominal voltage. For most cars, it is 12V, but in a number of cases you may need twice as much - 24V.
- Observe the recommendations of the vehicle manufacturer. In foreign cars, a strictly defined space is provided for the starter battery. Accumulators are of European and Asian type, and they differ significantly in size. So, for example, the GILLETTE Magico line has the following dimensions: 245x177x190 mm (European type). Line of ENERGIZER batteries for passenger cars - 238х129х227 mm (Asian type). The diameter of the positive and negative terminals also depends on the manufacturer of the machine (European or Japanese).
- Check battery polarity. Everything is simple here: on Russian-assembled cars it is "direct", on imported cars - "reverse". Also on sale there are universal options where the terminals are located in the middle of the block.
- Pay particular attention to the rated capacity of the starter battery. If it differs greatly from the parameter recommended by the manufacturer, problems cannot be avoided during use. So, for example, a battery with a too large nominal capacity will not have time to charge from the generator. Otherwise, he is threatened with constant "overcharging" in excess, and this can also cause the device to fail.
- Think about the operating conditions. If the machine will be used in winter, then it is necessary to purchase models with a high level of starting current and high electrolyte density. This will allow you to start the car even in 20-25-degree frost. For other cases, this parameter has no decisive value.
- Measure the approximate energy requirement of the vehicle's electronic systems. If there is a large number of equipment and devices in the car that are constantly operating from the mains, a high battery capacity is required.
Main characteristics of car batteries:
Rating of battery manufacturers:
TheDifference.ru knows how to choose a battery for a car:
When choosing a battery, be guided by a specific make of car. Special services that are already available on the Internet will give out a range of parameters that are optimal. Using these values, the driver will be able to purchase the battery that best suits his car..