When picking up a child for the first grade, parents buy a lot of necessary things: various stationery, school uniforms, sportswear and shoes for physical education, and, of course, a backpack. The latter is one of the main attributes of school life.
When choosing a backpack for a first grader, it is important to take into account a lot of points: how comfortable it is to carry in the hand and on the back, whether it is roomy, how much weight it is, what it is made of, and so on. A properly selected backpack will not harm your child's health and will last for more than one season.
Let's decide what types of school bags are
It is a bag made of soft material, having two straps for wearing behind the back. Some models have a handle on the top so that the backpack can be taken in hand. In high-quality backpacks, such a handle is not entirely convenient and suggests some distortion of the product: this is done so that the child does not carry his load in his hands for a long time. Types of a backpack:
a) With an orthopedic back
The peculiarity of such a back is in the presence of a certain number of soft pads. The fabric from which it is sewn must "breathe" - have holes for ventilation. The straps of the backpack are equipped with soft inserts that can be easily adjusted using special adjusters. Unlike a regular backpack, in a model with an orthopedic back, the load is evenly distributed, therefore it is easier to carry such a backpack, and it does less harm to a fragile spine.
b) On wheels
The thing is bulky and inconvenient. Such models consist of a trolley and a backpack itself, which is removable. They are good as a children's suitcase for a long trip, but no more.
- Easy. A regular backpack is often made of polyester, soft fabric and raincoat fabric, so the weight is low.
- Stylish. The backpack looks more stylish and sophisticated in comparison with other types of school bags, which is why high school students like it the most.
- Affordable price.
- Easy to open and close.
- Lack of a dense body and a rigid back. Textbooks and notebooks in your backpack can get wrinkled.
- Not the best choice for junior schoolchildren, since the load in the backpack is unevenly distributed, which negatively affects the child's musculoskeletal system.
Unlike a backpack, the body of the backpack is solid, so that school supplies in it do not wrinkle or deform. The knapsack can be horizontal or vertical.
- Straight padded back, thanks to which the weight of the contents the backpack is evenly distributed over the child's back, which significantly reduces the risk of scoliosis.
- Solid bottom. If you put the satchel on the floor / desk, it will not fall. And it is much easier to search for the necessary notebook or textbook in it than in a backpack.
- All items in the knapsack are well protected from various external influences: falls, impacts, spilled tea, etc. Books and notebooks do not wrinkle.
- Ideal for elementary school students.
- Higher (in comparison with a backpack) price.
- Great weight.
- Horizontal backpacks protrude from the back of the child and can cling to people and objects nearby.
- Some models have an awkward buckle.
A model that peaked in our parents' childhood. It is a school bag with solid sides and a top handle. A horizontal satchel is often confused with it. Their main difference is that the briefcase cannot be worn behind the back, it does not have straps. Nowadays, the portfolio is a rare guest on store shelves.
- Solid frame, so all content is protected from deformation and external factors.
- Cannot be worn on the back. Children (especially junior schoolchildren) cannot carry a heavy load in their hand for a long time, in which case scoliosis develops.
- Often they have an awkward clasp that only adults can open.
model pluses cons application backpack Lightweight, stylish, inexpensive, has comfortable zippers and locks, models with an orthopedic back prevent scoliosis For a regular backpack: not suitable for junior schoolchildren, no rigid frame and hard bottom Suitable for middle and high school students, a backpack with an orthopedic back can also be purchased for elementary school students Satchel Straight padded back, solid bottom, all items inside are protected from outside influences High (compared to a regular backpack) price, the satchel is quite heavy, may have a fastener that is difficult for a child to cope with Suitable for first graders briefcase Solid frame None No shoulder straps, uncomfortable fastening Suitable for high school and college students only
What makes a good backpack:
The backpack can be sewn from raincoat fabric, soft fabric (for example, denim with a special impregnation), polyester. The latter option is used much more often than others. Its undoubted advantage is its ease of maintenance: it is easy to wipe the stained area with an ordinary damp cloth, it can be washed by hand and in a washing machine. It is also very strong and does not fade in the sun. An important point: the polyester from which the backpack is sewn must be of high quality. When buying a school bag for your child, be sure to open it and smell it. If you smell an unpleasant smell, then buying such a backpack is not worth it, it can greatly harm the health of the child. High-quality knapsacks and backpacks have a back made of fabric with ventilation holes.
It is desirable that the fabric of the selected model is water-repellent. Then, both in the rain and in the snow, all notebooks and textbooks will remain dry.
Back and shoulder straps
The back of the backpack should be tight or orthopedic, but never soft. Pay attention to the fabric: as mentioned above, it must "breathe".
The straps of a school bag should be no narrower than 40 mm, with strong length adjusters, because the backpack needs to be worn for winter and summer clothes, which means that the length of the straps will have to be adjusted. It is good if they are provided with soft pads.
It is obligatory to have a handle and a special loop in order to hang a backpack on the hook of the desk.
All zippers and locks on the backpack should be of the highest quality, because they will often open and close. Therefore, when choosing a bag for your first grader, it is very important that he is by your side and personally tests each fastener.
Note the small plastic feet on the bottom of the backpack. They will allow it to stay clean wherever the child puts it.
Compartment and pockets
Choose a backpack that has at least two compartments for notebooks and books, plus several inside and outside pockets for small items. Textbooks need to be folded in the compartment located closer to the back, notebooks in the next compartment. Internal pockets are necessary for various office supplies, and it is convenient to put a bottle of water or juice in the outer ones, and put an apple.
Size and weight
The top of the back of the backpack cannot be higher than the shoulder line, and the bottom must not be below the hip line. Bulky box-bags not only look ridiculous, but also harm your health.
The optimal weight of a backpack is up to one kilogram, ideally 800-900 g. If your chosen backpack weighs more, then putting everything you need for the educational process in it, your child simply will not budge it.
Modern backpacks can be of various colors and shades, and they are decorated with images of cartoon characters, various animals and even photos of your favorite musicians and movie actors. There is also a division into bags for boys and girls, differing in color palette and theme of the picture. To prevent the latter from fading after the first wash or rain, choose a backpack with an applique.
The price of the issue
A high-quality backpack cannot be cheap, but you should not buy very expensive models either. The range of prices for school bags is huge, it all depends on the country of manufacture, brand and additional "filling" of the backpack, but counting on spending from 2 to 5 thousand rubles on it, you can buy a good and high-quality model.
TheDifference.ru knows how to choose a backpack for a first grader:
- Do not buy a backpack without a child, even if it seems ideal to you. Firstly, the child must choose a backpack to his liking, and secondly, a fitting is necessary. Only by putting on a backpack, you can understand that it does not put pressure on the back and corresponds to all indicated sizes (does not exceed the height of the shoulder line and is not located below the hips). Thirdly, the child must practice opening and closing all the zippers and locks on the chosen school bag himself.
- Buy only certified products. Before buying, ask the seller to show all documents confirming the quality of the backpack.