The variety of proposals for issuing bank cards can confuse many people: salary, student, pension, savings, credit, prepaid... At the same time, one of the actively advertised types of cards is Visa Electron, so often potential customers of credit institutions ask themselves: what is Visa different from Visa Electron?
In fact, this question is not entirely correct, because Visa Electron is one of the types of cards issued in the Visa line. In addition to it, Russian banks issue Visa Classic, Visa Gold, Visa Platinum, Visa Signature, Visa Infinite and Visa Business. All cards, except for the last one, are intended for use by individuals and differ in degrees of protection, capabilities and, accordingly, the cost of service.
Visa Electron is an entry-level card of the Visa payment system, issued for about 30 years and enjoying stable popularity in Russia. Often it is issued as part of salary projects, it is offered to issue it to pensioners and students over 14 years old. In many countries, Visa Electron is intended primarily for young people and students, as it is difficult to overspend on it. In this case, the card can be not only a debit card, including with the possibility of an authorized overdraft, but also a credit card.
The difference between Visa Electron and other cards of the Visa series is as follows:
- Visa Electron cards are not embossed, that is, the name of the holder, the term of use and the card number is not squeezed out on it, but simply printed. This manufacturing method does not allow the use of voice authorization and imprinters in the future, which reduces the risk of using the card and reduces the circle of outlets that accept it.
- There is minimal or no card service fees, which makes Visa Electron popular among low-income citizens.
- It is difficult to go into an unauthorized overdraft, that is, withdraw more money than is on the card account. This is possible due to the fact that all payments are made using online authorization, during which there is an automatic connection with the bank and clarification of the adequacy of funds on the card. But it should be remembered that when paying abroad, the commission for converting into local currency may not be taken into account, so if the client runs out of funds completely, then he may lose the amount of this commission.
- Visa Electron cards are not issued in a number of countries; instead, Visa Debit, similar in functionality, is used.
- Cards of this level are served in sales outlets and cash points bearing a special Visa Electron logo. This is a total of more than 12.4 million organizations operating in the service and trade sectors, and over 805 thousand ATMs around the world.
Thus, the difference between Visa Electron and other Visa cards is not that great. You can withdraw money from an ATM or pay by bank transfer at retail outlets with virtually no restrictions, including abroad, since both logos usually coexist on POS terminals. It may not be accepted in Australia, USA, Canada and Ireland, because cards of this level are not issued there, but for the convenience of customers, Visa Inc. implements in such countries the Accept All Cards program, according to which Visa Electron are required to serve in any place where Visa cards are valid.
The card also participates in the Visa bonus program, which includes offers of discounts or special conditions from Russian and foreign stores, restaurants, travel agencies and other trade and service organizations.
The only significant disadvantage of using Visa Electron may be the restriction of the ability to pay for purchases on the Internet or the complete exclusion of such payments. This function depends on the policy of the issuing bank, so some holders of such cards are deprived of the opportunity to make virtual payments, others can only use Internet banking, and still others have complete freedom of action. Therefore, it is better to ask a bank specialist a question about payment on the Internet before issuing a card.
Visa Electron will be a good choice for a person applying for his first bank card and just starting to enjoy the benefits of cashless payments..